The Digital Media Lab I mentioned awhile ago is finally open to the public and I am very happy with how it turned out. MPOW now has a newly remodeled space featuring four shiny new Macs that are loaded with software goodies. We also have other equipment including two new scanners and an M-audio USB MIDI keyboard.
Our community will be able to do all kinds of cool things in this lab, including the following:
- Shooting, editing, and sharing videos
- Creating, recording, and sharing digital music
- Designing posters, brochures, websites, etc.
- Digitizing photographs, documents, etc.
- Editing photographs and other images
- Shoot photographs and videos against the green screen painted wall
- Work on presentations using iWork’s Keynote
- Talk to friends and family using Skype or iChat and the built-in webcams
- Check out digital cameras, Flip video camcorders, 250G portable hard drives, and tripods overnight
The long list of software loaded onto these computers includes:
- iLife 09
- iWork 09
- Final Cut Studio
- Logic Express
- Adobe CS 4
- Safari and Firefox
- Scanning software
Having been open just one week now, we’re still in the soft-opening stage during which we’re trying to create a welcoming environment for people who are curious about the lab. Soon, we’ll publicize it more and hopefully people will come rushing in to use the lab. I was thrilled to hear that someone made use of the green wall this past Saturday! And I’ve had some really positive conversations with people who really sound excited about this new lab. [Edit: More information about this lab can be found on our Library website.]
Here’s a photoset that’ll give you an idea of what this space looks like:
Update: Here’s more information I posted on the Radar, my library’s technology blog.