For the past year and a half I’ve been working on creating a new Digital Media Lab at mpow. We opened the lab a few months and this morning I’m giving a presentation at NSLS about the entire process of getting the lab up and running. My presentation will include the following:
- What is the Digital Media Lab?
- Why did we create it? What were our goals and what did we identify as the need?
- How did we pull it off? What went into the planning process?
- What was and is the result? How has the public responded and used the lab so far?
- What are our plans for it? What are some possible programs and services that will come out of the lab?
- What can you do? What are some tips to help you empower your own community to work with digital media?
I hope more libraries in the area will consider doing something to help their users work with digital media and one of the points I’ll make is that it can start with just one Mac mini if you want to ease into it. We’ll see how the response is today!
Here are my presentation slides (large pdf file!) in case you’re interested: